Armed Work Cards

How to become armed

Only a person with a hard plastic permanent card is authorized to take the firearm course. An individual in provisional status is not authorized to take the course.

If you would like to become armed you will need to be employed by a licensee that is willing to sponsor you to take the course. Your employer must add you to their online roster and give you a signed Verification of Employment Armed Security (VEAS) form to take to a Certified Firearm Instructor (CFI) who administers the course.

    What the course entails

    The course consists of eight hours of training and instruction on carrying, handling and using a firearm safely, including the completion of a written exam with a passing score of 75% or better.

    Additionally, there is a minimum of 5 hours of instruction and training at a firing range during which time each person must qualify using a firearm of the same type and caliber as the firearm they will be using while on duty.

      Once the course is complete

      The CFI will submit all the necessary paperwork to our office within 5 days of completing the course.

      The PILB will then verify the information and update our system to reflect the individual is authorized to be armed and print and mail them a new hard plastic permanent work card which will take the place of their unarmed card.

      A person who wishes to maintain their certification must successfully qualify for certification every 6 months during the designated months indicated on their card.

      If a person fails to qualify during any of their designated qualification months, the card becomes invalid and they shall not use a firearm in the course of their employment until they successfully requalify.

      Please refer to NAC 648.350 for additional information